After Care for Piercing
So now that you got your new piercing how do you take care of it?
The #1 cause of a piercing infection is from touching your new piercing!
CLEANING YOUR PIERCING
1. SHOWER DAILY and rinse piercing well to remove any soap.
2. After your shower, spray piercing with sterile saline or a sea salt soak.
3. Clean jewelry with a qtip after shower and spray/soaking.
4. Use clean bedding and change clothing daily while piercing is healing.
5. DON'T touch the jewelry. Only touch with qtip when cleaning.
6. DON'T turn or twist jewelry.
7. DON'T use oils, Peroxide, or Alcohol.
8. DON'T get hairspray or cosmetics on piercing while it is healing.
Sea Salt Soaks
1. Wash your hands thoroughly with antimicrobial soap.
2. Place a very small pinch of sea salt in the bottom of a small disposable cup.
3. Add warm distilled water to the salt.
4. Invert the cup right over the piercing and soak for 5 minutes.
5. Rinse the piercing with warm water and dry with a clean paper towel.
6. Continue to soak daily until piercing is healed.
Only pure sea salt is to be used. Table salt, kosher salt, Epsom salts, and iodized sea salts are no acceptable. Sea salt can be found in many grocery stores and almost all health food stores.
To aid in healing a new piercing, sea salt soaks once a day should be sufficient. If your piercing is irritated, increase sea salt soaks to 2-3 times per day until the irritation subsides.
If your piercing becomes irritated as a result of sea salt soaks, you are probably using either the wrong kind of salt or have made your solution too strong.
Report back to the studio if you still have questions.